More people are choosing to work as contractors or freelancers due to the growing gig economy. Because they can work simultaneously for several companies and gain new skills, the gig economy offers them more opportunities. Gigs allow them to be more independent and have more freedom in choosing when and where they work. This reduces the risk of losing their job and allows them to earn more through multiple gig apps.
What is a Gig App?
Gig apps have seen a rise in popularity as more people join the bandwagon. These apps connect individuals and workers to businesses. These gigs allow job seekers to apply for jobs online and earn extra money through gig economy apps. Generally speaking, gig apps can be broken down into three types:
- Freelance Apps: These platforms are for freelancers looking for gig jobs. These are platforms where freelancers and gig workers can create profiles and share their expertise with those who need them. Task Rabbit is one example.
- On Demand Apps: These apps allow potential employers to advertise job openings and in return, the app will send advertisements to potential gig workers looking to make extra money from gig work. Uber, and DoorDash are some examples.
- Platform-Based Applications: These gig applications let you set your prices and create a business profile. The app acts as a middleman between businesses offering services like rentals or other services and those who are looking for those services. It takes a commission to provide a platform that allows them to list. Examples include: Airbnb
The Gig Economy: A Overview
What’s the gig economy? This market is for short-term labor (in most cases), or freelance work. Modern-day work has been transformed by gig economy jobs. The gig economy is a great way to make extra income, or as a side-hustle. What’s a side hustle Side hustles are usually a form of work that is done in addition to a regular job. Side hustles are easier to find with the gig economy. Apps can be used to support remote work through side hustles. All you need to make extra income or replace your traditional income is a smartphone and a laptop.
Also read: 70 Best Startup Ideas for Students
Benefits of Gig Economy Apps
You can work for companies that offer on-demand services through gig apps. You get paid according to the tasks you perform in exchange for services provided. You typically retain 100% of any tips you earn. Apps have created a market for the gig economy, making it easier to incorporate side hustles into your day.
Be your own boss
Your gig job should be considered your own business. You can set your own hours, and you have the option to choose with whom you work. You are filling a market need by making deliveries, selling products, or providing services.
Create Your Own Schedule
You can set your own work hours and choose where to work.
Faster Earn Money at the Work You Want
Gig apps allow you to trade in your niche, and make extra money on your terms.
50 Best Gig Apps for Making Money
Uber is a great option if you have a car and enjoy driving. Uber is a ride-sharing app that allows you to make extra money on your own schedule. Uber allows you to choose whether you want to drive full-time, or part-time and make a decent living. Surge pricing is an additional perk of Uber. Uber may raise fares to ensure that everyone who needs a ride has one. In order to encourage drivers to charge higher fares, riders will be able to get pickups quickly and reliably in high-demand areas.
- Pros: Convenient, cashless, competitive pricing; safety and flexible scheduling for drivers.
- Cons: Drivers may use driver’s licenses to scam others; cancellations are possible; an ineffective rating system is used; drivers are responsible.
Lyft allows drivers to connect with passengers looking for rides. Lyft is a ridesharing app that allows riders to book rides up to seven days in advance. It notifies drivers of their arrival and gives estimates to the passengers. Drivers can get additional insurance and earn more if they work during peak hours with this app.
- Pros: Gig workers can begin as soon as they sign up in certain cities. Flexible work schedules are available; drivers earn more during peak hours; and drivers keep 100% of the tips.
- Cons: Drivers bear all costs associated with this service, cancellations, ineffective rating system and vehicle depreciation.
The Handy app is best for professionals looking to make extra money by helping others with small tasks. Handy offers more than the minimum wage. You can earn a good amount of income if your work is active and you take on more jobs. Handy is a popular gig app for handymen and cleaning professionals. It allows clients to track their professional’s location, manage their booking details with you, rate, and tip after each booking, and comes with more mobile-only features. Handy takes a portion of the professional’s booking fee. Handy charges for all services that are performed through the app by both clients and professionals.
- Pros: Higher than the average minimum wage; flexible work schedule; gig workers can work when and where they want; easy payments.
- Cons: Cancellation Fees; it is possible to take long trips in order to reach clients.
GrubHub allows you to deliver food to customers from your favorite restaurants. You can deliver food to a limited number of restaurants. Grubhub receives a percentage of each order as a commission.
- Pros: Scheduling flexibility, guaranteed minimum hourly wages while they are on the clock. The app will show you where your order is before you accept it.
- Cons: Grubhub may require you to have a car in certain areas. You are responsible for paying taxes.
The Qwick App helps you match professionals with food or beverage shifts in real time. It allows you to choose the shifts you wish to work, and you get paid within 30 minutes of completing your shift. Qwick works with restaurants, hotels, caterers, convention centers, and other venues to provide gig workers with a steady stream of jobs.
- Pros: The ability to choose only those shifts that work for you; get paid immediately; build relationships with businesses and increase your chances of being hired for long-term jobs.
- Cons: Sometimes, work availability is limited or slow on certain days. Some shifts may be difficult to find.
This gig app allows people to rent out their spare bedrooms or homes to people looking for a place to stay. The Airbnb app allows you to message guests and make reservations securely from the app. You can also add house rules to your guests such as no shoes and no parties to protect your property.
- Pros: Free listing, hosts don’t have to pay for their properties to be listed, and they can set their rental price. Airbnb also covers damage up to $1,000,000
- Cons: Minimal tax or no tax benefits
DoorDash allows you to deliver food to nearby restaurants. It’s the largest delivery platform. Customers can place orders and the closest DoorDash driver will pick them up and deliver the food to their homes. DoorDash makes revenue from delivery rates fees, a 20% commission from restaurants for each order, as well as advertising.
- Pros: Show you what you will do before you accept an order. You can also see the location of the delivery in advance. Flexible; high hourly rate; tip potential.
- Cons: DoorDash in many areas requires that you use a car. In dense areas, bikes are not allowed.
ParkingPanda lets users locate and rent parking spaces. You can also rent your car-friendly turf to other people, similar to Airbnb’s lodging service. Users must fill out the information about their parking spot on Parking Panda before they can rent it. Parking Panda will pay 20% commission on the rental fee.
- Pros: You can potentially make money with little effort. There are no investments or expenses required. You don’t need to be home when the renter comes. Flexible rental periods are available.
- Cons: Your parking space might not be sufficient; renting locations in low-demand areas could not prove to be very lucrative.
Postmates has been rated the best delivery service because it allows you to make money by delivering food to restaurants and grocery stores. Postmates will pay a 20% commission on all fees. For deliveries that were made in the week prior, Postmates couriers are paid via direct deposit. If you need to be paid faster, however, there are instant payment options.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling; high hourly wages; tip potential.
- Cons: Costs of gas and vehicle depreciation.
10. Amazon Flex
Amazon Flex allows you to deliver packages to Amazon customers. You can sign up for scheduled routes that allow you to deliver multiple packages from one central Amazon warehouse. Or you can accept on-demand orders. In these cases, you are paid a fixed amount for each delivery.
- Pros: Displays hourly rates, drivers keep 100% of tips, track earnings with the app and have flexible scheduling.
- Cons: No steady income as blocks can’t be guaranteed on a daily/hourly basis. You are responsible for all car-related expenses, including maintenance and gas.
Rover if you’re good with dogs is the best app for dog walking. This app allows pet sitters to offer day-care or simple walking services in return for cash.
- Pros: Multiple services that you can offer. You get to work with dogs and manage your rates, services, and schedule.
- Cons: Work might be slow, as it may take time to find clients.
12. Task Rabbit
This gig app is available for on-demand tasks. It is ideal for odd jobs like teaching music or plumbing. It allows you to find work, connect with potential clients, and receive payment for your work. Task Rabbit takes 15% commission on every job completed and 7.5% as supporting fees.
- Pros: Flexible job schedule; ability to choose the rates that are most favorable for you; find tasks that suit your skill set.
- Cons: Tasks can’t be done remotely and you have to be in the area where they are requested. There are complaints about low-paying gigs.
Instacart is the best driver app, allows you to order groceries and pick them up. It allows you to accept orders, gather items, and deliver. Instacart allows you to earn approximately $13 an hour
- Pros: Flexible Scheduling; High Hourly Pay; Tip Potential.
- Cons: The cost of gas and vehicle depreciation are your responsibility.
Dolly is an app that delivers on-demand. This site connects movers with those who need help moving items. You can either be a Helper’ or a ‘Hand’ depending on which type of vehicle you are driving. Pickup truck owners must have helpers who can lift more than 75 pounds. The hands are only there to help.
Pros: Get 100% customer tips and a guaranteed payment amount before you submit a job request.
Cons: To make the most money as an aid, you need a truck.
Freelancer has the largest platform for freelancers who specialize in computer-related skills. Examples of these roles are writing, editing audio and video, and web design. You can create a profile and bid on projects that are similar to your skill set. When new projects match your skills and expertise, Freelancer will notify you with job alerts.
- Pros: A flexible work schedule that can be done from anywhere.
- Cons: Tiered membership fees
The Etsy App allows you to sell items and manage your e-store on the move. It allows you to communicate with customers, view your shop stats, manage your orders, and even place vintage and craft supplies orders. Etsy charges $0.20 for a return and takes a 5. % transaction fee.
- Pros: Access to large markets; simple setup.
- Cons: Limited product type you can sell
This platform connects students and teachers. Udemy allows you to create video-based courses about a wide range of subjects in return for a pay. Courses start at $19 and go up to $199. In return, the platform will receive a 30% commission.
- Pros: Provides courses that cover both technical and soft skills. The platform is simple to use and manage. Online storage of training sessions’ progress.
- Cons: Skill measurement is lacking; certificates aren’t endorsed or supported by universities as other platforms. Many users of competing courses might not know which one suits them best.
18. Doctor on Demand
If you’re a doctor Doctor On Demand allows you to offer online medical services, consultations and assistance from the comfort of your own home. Patients can use this app to connect with licensed therapists and board-certified providers over live video via their tablet or smartphone. Doctor on Demand receives a 25% commission for connecting patients to doctors.
- Pros: Flexible schedule, remote work options, upfront pricing
- Cons: Users pay more for online healthcare services than they do for other services. There are limited treatment options.
Skillshare allows people to monetize their skills by offering courses for others. There are over 25,000 videos that cover just about every skill you need to make money, such as engineer, design, and other skills. Skillshare is a platform that allows teachers to make money through a royalty system. Each month, 30% of Skillshare’s total membership revenue is donated to a royalty pool.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling, easy to use, good revenue.
- Cons: High competition; teachers aren’t vetted. There is no guarantee you will make a living after publishing your course.
The Upwork app allows freelancers to find work in a variety of industries and skill sets. This app is used by many professionals such as writers, web developers, data entry clerks, and virtual assistants use this app is the go-to app for gig work.
- Pros: Good selection of jobs; can work remotely, screens clients; collects payment; higher-paying projects.
- Cons: Hefty Fees – It charges between 5% and 20% depending on your earnings.
Opportunity helps users find opportunities for business around them. Opportunity uses the information you provide to match you with potential sales leads, employees, and other opportunities. It can also be used by professionals who want to network with others who share the same business interests.
- Pros: Priority Alerts; Expanded Matching Options; Opportunity to Grow Your Career and Business
- Cons: Pricing.
Fiverr is an app that allows you to sell services such as writing, animation, and graphic design. This app is the best freelancing platform. Fiverr charges 20% to connect you with clients.
- Pros: Affordable; Opportunities to expand your skills by working with different clients and projects; you don’t need to submit a bid; Fiverr will contact interested clients.
- Cons: Quality services require high charges; this could make it difficult for beginners.
23. Band of Hands
Band Of Hands connects people and offers through a mobile and web application. Band Of Hands is a great place to find gig work in your area.
- Pros: Post and view jobs easily; great for any gig; in-app communication; secure online payments
- Cons: It is possible to not find good-paying jobs; there are few job opportunities in certain markets.
Gigwalk is a gig app that helps you find jobs quickly in your local area. A gig is represented by a pin in the mobile app. It can take anywhere between 5 minutes and a few hours and pays anywhere from $3 to $100.
- Pros: Flexible schedule. Some gigs can take as little as 5 minutes.
- Cons: It is possible to not find good-paying gig apps; there are few job opportunities in certain markets.
Shipt ranks among the top grocery delivery apps on the market. You can get gigs to help you shop for groceries and deliver them. You will be charged a 7.5% commission on the total amount you order. Membership fees are also required.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling; potential to earn up to $25/hour
- Cons: Sometimes, it doesn’t give customers enough time to place an order.
You can rent your car out using the Getaround application. This is a great way for you to get back some of the money you invested in a car that you don’t use very often. You don’t need to contact customer service and the service comes with insurance. You have the option to rent your car for the day, weekends, or a week.
- Pros: Automated Pricing and Driving Record Check for Drivers
- Cons: Wear and tear on the vehicle; more mileage.
Thumbtack allows you to get work as a handyman, personal trainer, DJ, or house cleaner. You can create price estimates that are tailored to each job by using it. Thumbtack also provides a range of online resources, including cost estimates for most popular services and how-to guides on over a dozen subjects.
- Pros: Free listings. Book appointments anytime, anywhere.
- Cons: Too much competition; potential Poor quality leads
Wag allows customers to request services and then you can choose whether or not to accept it. Walks can be booked in advance or on demand. Customers can also request different lengths of walks and Wag will fix the price per walk. Wag receives 40% of the commissions paid by the owner.
- Pros: Can track walks with live GPS and perform background checks on walkers. On-demand booking is also available.
- Cons: Prices can vary from one market to another; high commissions for the app.
Roadie allows you to send items to people and businesses. Roadie allows you to make two types of delivery. The first type of delivery is to deliver items long distances and make local deliveries. Furniture and large items such as furniture are usually delivered in exchange for your car. Customers can list their orders on Roadie and drivers will accept it on a first-come, first-serve basis. Roadies determine the price based upon distance and size. For long-distance deliveries, drivers can earn up to $650 and can earn as much as $50 for local gigs.
- Pros: Allows you to set your prices and comes with a rating system. It is a simple and lucrative way for you to make extra cash. You can work whenever and wherever you want.
- Cons: Gigs can be physically demanding because they involve lifting and moving items heavier than 20 pounds. You are responsible for your taxes.
UrbanSitter offers side hustle opportunities for people who are interested in tutoring, babysitting or nannying. Parents pay a monthly fee to access the directory, which allows sitters to keep 100%. Sitters decide their rates, availability, as well as the geographical area they cover.
Pros: You keep 100% of what you earn; set your rates and have flexible scheduling.
Cons: Jobs are not always readily available. It could be challenging to get gigs in the beginning.
WeGoLook lets you work as an independent contractor and take photos of things for insurance claims. Most tasks involve taking photos of cars, intersections, or exterior photos of properties. WeGoLook charges $12-$30 for each order. However, depending on the complexity of the task and how long it takes to complete it, one could get up to $200.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling; easy sign-up; training, and support.
- Cons: Potential long drives; low pay.
Swagbucks rewards you with points for taking surveys, shopping online, playing games and other activities. You can redeem the points for PayPal cash and gift cards depending on what you do.
- Pros: Easy gigs; flexible scheduling; free sign-up.
- Cons: It may take time to earn points.
ProductTube allows you to record yourself buying products from different stores. These stores can be grocery stores, convenience stores, or big-box retailers such as Target and Walmart. You will receive instructions and a list of questions to answer in your five-minute video once you accept the task. You can expect to receive between $10 and $25 per video. This is a very lucrative job considering how much time you spend filming. Amazon gift cards are used to pay for payments.
- Pros: Easy payment; flexible scheduling.
- Cons: You need a phone with a camera. It might not be possible to get a steady stream of gigs.
Spark Driver app delivers orders from Walmart. All orders made through this app must be paid in advance. Walmart employees will prepare your order so you only need to pick it up and drop it off.
- Pros: Work when and where ever you like; get 100% of the tips directly
- Cons: You’ll need to have t in order to drive your vehicle.
36. Fielder Agent
Fielder agent is an app that gives you gigs to deliver, pick up, and other services. Fielder allows you to receive tasks from clients and manage them. You can also assign them to the closest agent at your client’s address.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling and quick money
- Cons: Demand may not be big in your area.
Dispatch allows you to make local deliveries for businesses. The app notifies nearby drivers when a business places an order for delivery. Drivers are able to accept orders and pick up or drop off orders.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling; tip potential.
- Cons: These deliveries will require you to drive a car.
The Grabr App allows you to get any item anywhere in the world delivered to your door by trusted travelers who are heading in your direction. You can also search for products that aren’t available locally or are too expensive. You can also use this opportunity to help subsidize your overseas travels by purchasing cosmetics, electronics watches, shoes, and other products. Grabr charges a service fee to customers in order to pay development fees, which include operating operations and providing support.
- Pros: Let’s select orders that you can deliver to and make offers for them.
- Cons: Hourly Pay varies depending upon your trip and the product you are delivering.
EasyShift allows you to connect with stores in your area and work (Shifts). EasyShift is different from other apps. It rewards you with cash. You are generally paid to take photos of aisles and products in convenience stores and grocery stores. EasyShift gigs usually require you to answer questions and take photos. Shifts can last up to fifteen minutes.
- Pros: Flexible hours that work for your schedule; no experience required, no application process
- Cons: Requires a phone with a camera.
40. Survey Junkie
Survey Junkie is a survey platform, It collects market research on various brands using its army of survey takers. It allows gig workers to work from anywhere and respond to as many surveys that they like. They can also earn reward points which can be used to redeem for cash.
- Pros: Ease of Use; easy translation points to cash; fast and secure payment options.
- Cons: Repetitive questionnaires; limited high-value surveys.
iVueit lets you take photos with your smartphone to make money. You can earn gigs by taking photos and providing information about commercial properties in your local area. It’s as easy as that.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling; simple sign-up.
- Cons: Requires a phone with a camera.
StreetCrowd allows customers to rent a car per minute using carshare apps. Then park your car wherever you like. The app’s goal is to provide safe, reliable, and affordable shared mobility options for people living in cities. The app can be used to transport cars to high-demand areas and get a free ride.
- Pros: Create your own schedule.
- Cons: Drivers will be responsible for all costs associated with this service, including vehicle depreciation
43. Google Opinion Rewards
Google opinion rewards app allows you to answer short surveys and earn Google Play credits with Google Opinion Reward. After you have downloaded the app, you will be sent surveys approximately once per week. However, it could be more often or less frequently. When a brief and relevant survey is available, you will receive a notification on the phone. You can also get up to $1.00 worth of Play credit for completing the survey. You can ask questions such as “Which logo do you like best?” “Which promotion are you most interested in?” or “When will your next trip be?”
- Pros: Easy gigs; flexible scheduling.
- Cons: Limited high-value surveys.
HopSkipDrive offers drivers an alternative to traditional rideshare. Parents can pick up their children and drop them off at the driver’s home. HopSkipDrive drivers must have at least five years of experience as a caregiver and must pass a 15-point certification process that includes fingerprinting background checks, and car inspections. Interviews are also required.
- Pros: Text alerts and background checks.
- Cons: Drivers will be responsible for all costs associated with this service, including vehicle depreciation.
Also read: 20 Best YouTube Business Ideas
You can find stable, flexible work with the Wolo App. It allows you to connect with other people in your area to find shifts or job opportunities. Wonolo can help you find your next gig, whether it’s in From warehousing, food production, merchandising washing and cleaning,
- Pros: Get paid according to your schedule, when, and where you want.
- Cons: Smartphones required. Some businesses may require a criminal background check.
CoinOut allows you to scan receipts and get paid to shop at any store. You can cash out any time you wish and the app will pay you just a few cents per receipt. CoinOut’s advantage is that you can cash out in real cash, not points. To earn cashback, all you need to do is upload receipts to the app. It doesn’t take long to search for specific deals or check if a retailer is part of the program. Snap and you’ll earn. You must upload receipts within two weeks of the original purchase. They should include the date, retail name, item purchased, and amount, and be legible.
- Pros: Email Connect for Automatic e-Receipt Rewards; Connects with Amazon to Get Automated Reward
- Cons: Credit or debit cards cannot be linked to this app. There are also limits on how many receipts you can scan into a day.
The HomeToGo App allows you to list your property and provide accommodation for holidaymakers. The app offers intuitive filters that allow users to view prices, amenities, whether pets can be allowed, Internet / WIFI; and wheelchair-accessible options.
- Pros: Secure Payment Method; Flexible Scheduling; Options for Instant Booking.
- Cons: Additional charges for guests such as service costs.
Dumpling can be used for grocery delivery Where grocery shoppers can request groceries and set their prices. The Dumpling customers review the orders and then ask each individual customer to fulfill them. The gig app has a variety of pricing options, including a per-order percentage or a monthly subscription.
- Pros: Flexible scheduling and opportunity to build customer networks.
- Cons: To keep your Dumpling account activated, you must fulfill at least one order each month.
You can rent your car out for cash with the Turo App. You simply need to list your car, and then wait for renters to take it. Turo will make sure you are covered in the event of an accident and that your renter is legitimate.
- Pros: Lots to book; simple to use ap.
- Cons: Large Commission Fee 15%-40%
Bellhop connects professionals, drivers and movers with customers. People moving to professional movers. The Bellhop app allows you to locate, claim and track your moving appointments. Turo will make sure you are covered in case something happens, and they make sure that the renter is legitimate.
- Pros: Set your own hours: Earn up to $21 per hour with tips and bonuses
- Cons: Cannot transport heavy or specialty items such as pianos.
Side gig apps that can help you earn extra income
Side gigs can be a great way to earn extra money. There are many gig economy apps that can cover any side hustle, with flexible scheduling. You can earn extra income by using gig economy apps such as Airbnb, Uber, Lyft, Fiverr, and Upwork.
Are gig apps worth the effort?
The rise of the gig economy means more people want flexibility in their work. Gig apps are fulfilling this promise. Gig apps facilitate contract workers’ connections with clients and also allow them to make payment arrangements and reservations, and manage other aspects of gig work.
Which is the best gig app for you?
Amazon’s meteoric rise has forced us to deliver packages to our customers all across the country. AmazonFlex is now available to gig workers who can deliver packages for Amazon. Amazon claims that most drivers make $18-25 an hour depending on their experience and location.
What is the best app for side gigs?
Uber is a ridesharing app that connects passengers and drivers. Uber passengers can get a ride in a matter of minutes, and Uber drivers can earn extra cash in their spare time by using resources they already have.
Which is the most paying gig app?
DoorDash is the most popular app for making money side-by-side. It pays between $15 and $25 per hour. The sign-up process for this popular app is very simple. DoorDash allows you to be your own boss. You can choose when, where and how much you earn. DoorDash also lets you keep 100% on tips.
What best gig apps pay the same day?
Uber, Lyft, Postmates. Grubhub and DoorDash allow you to make money full-time or as a side hustle. You can work in nearly all US cities and receive your payment the same day. Additionally, you can cash out your tips, earnings, and promotions on the same day.