You want to ensure that your data is safe and secure if you use Google Sheets to add important information on the move. Google Docs doesn’t have a password protection feature at this time. Your documents will be protected only by the password to your primary Google account.
If you want to improve the security of your files, you can. Encrypting data makes your data more secure. If someone has access to your account for any reason, they won’t be able to read your data without your password.
How to Set Up A Password Protect Google Sheet
When you decide to password-protect your Google Sheets for the first time, you’ll need to set it up. You can skip this step and just go to the next part to encrypt or decrypt your files. It will only take a few seconds.
You can use the Skipser script to encrypt your data and secure it with a password.
- Visit skipser.com
- Select Script Editor from the Tools menu. This will open a new window with the script.
- Click on Files, then choose Manage Versions, and finally click on Save a New Version. Click on OK when you see the new row for version 1.
- Click on Publish after that.
- Click on the Deploy button to see Deploy as an app.
- When the confirmation pops up, click ok.
- Finally, close the window when you’re done.
You will find the Protect File icon at top of your spreadsheet’s main menu.
How to Protect Files on Google Sheet
Congratulations! You have now set up your password-protected Google Sheets. It is much easier to encrypt files starting now.
- Click on the link to the protected google sheet and you will be asked to create a copy. Take a copy.
- You can leave the first row empty and add your data in the third row. The first row of your spreadsheet will display your encrypted URL.
- Click on the main menu bar to open the file menu.
- Next, choose Encrypt File Option from the drop-down menu.
- It will ask for permission the first time to access your Google Drive to encrypt your document.
- Click OK on the Authorization Required pop-up window and then click Accept. Only the first time that you encrypt your data will an Authorization request appear.
- Go to the main menu, and then click on Protect File again.
- Next, click on the encrypt option from the menu. You will be asked to create a password in a pop-up window. After creating your password, you will see encrypted data on the sheet.
How to Decrypt Google Sheet
- You will need to click on the Protect File option in order to access your data.
- Select the decrypt option. You will be prompted to enter your password in a pop-up window.
- You will be able to see your data once you have submitted your password.
Once you’re done, you can access the file option to encrypt your file once again.
How to Change the Password of an Encrypted File
You can also change your password to Google encrypt files whenever you wish.
To modify your password,
- Go to the Protect File menu.
- Choose Change Password from the menu and change your password.
How to access the Encrypt Spreadsheets from Your Phone
The Protect File option is not available in the top menu of your mobile google sheet. The encrypted URL is located in the first row. To open your sheets on your phone, simply click on the Encrypt/Decrypt URL in the first row.
You will be asked to enter your password on the URL webpage. You can then click on the “go backlink” to encrypt or decrypt your spreadsheet.
You can’t be too careful about your data. Before you put any sensitive information in Google Sheets, such as passwords or bank information, make sure you use password security. Although the entire process is quick, encrypting data makes Google Sheets more secure.