An organization’s most valuable asset is its knowledge. This includes data, information, and expert opinions as well as skills and experience. Documents, databases, reports, and files are just a few of the knowledge assets that an organization or company has. Knowledge management software allows you to apply knowledge efficiently within your organization and produce profitable results in terms of high turnover and growth
Knowledge management is the process of capturing, sharing, creating, managing and distributing information so that it can be used effectively by the organization. This can lead to better decision-making and positive transformations. It is important to have a simplified process for managing knowledge within an organization.
Significance of Knowledge Management Software
Knowledge management software allows you to apply knowledge efficiently within your organization and produce profitable results in terms of high turnover and growth. It also allows you to better serve your customers and make informed decisions.
According to the survey, there were 1,000 full-time workers in the United States across various industries and sectors.
Although digital file organization has replaced a paper-based system, it doesn’t solve the problem of data scattered across emails and hard drives. It is possible to lose time searching for important information by storing files in the wrong folder or misnaming them.
Software that manages knowledge allows employees to share and collaborate with customers, suppliers, and themselves. This allows for quick access to information, which increases efficiency and productivity and improves decision-making.
According to an IDC White Paper titled “The High Price of Not Finding Information”, 1,000 employees in organizations waste approximately $48,000 per week or $2.5 Billion annually due to the inability to find and retrieve information.
This issue can be addressed with excellent knowledge management software. It allows you to simplify three areas: information management, employee knowledge enhancement, and customer service. This will allow you to provide exceptional customer service and increase your ROI by streamlining these three key areas of your business. It is also important to create knowledge management strategies that are aligned with your business strategies.
What Software Can You Consider a Knowledge Management Software?
A knowledge management system is any software that helps create, process, and share knowledge. The following tools fall under the umbrella of a knowledge management system:
- Software for intranet use by employees
- Content management system
- Learning management system for organizations
- Document management system
- Training Software/Tutorials
- Software for communication and collaboration
- Social Networking Tools
- Chatbots/AI Assistants
Benefits of Using Knowledge Management Software
Let’s say that an employee leaves the organization without passing on any knowledge to another employee. Does this pose a problem to the company? It is. It can negatively impact the company’s productivity and efficiency. Organizations that use knowledge management software can create a system to capture and store valuable information, regardless of where they are located.
Knowledge management software offers many benefits, including:
- This saves time when creating knowledge
- Access to the information you need is easy
- This helps in completing projects on schedule
- Reduces the chance of repeating mistakes
- Team collaboration – Enhancement
- Work in a streamlined manner
- It helps you make confident decisions
- Allows employees to quickly receive training
- Transfer of knowledge seamlessly
- Easy updates of data on a regular basis
- Improved customer service
Features of Knowledge Management Software
Knowledge management systems are a central repository that allows users to create, optimize, store and retrieve information. This helps them to understand corporate knowledge used in their core work areas. The following are the main features you should look for in knowledge management software.
- Integrations – Knowledge management software should integrate with other systems such as CRM, helpdesks, social networking platforms, and so on.
- Search – This feature is part of a knowledge management tool that helps users find the information they need based on keywords entered in the search box. This feature helps to quickly find the right content.
- Content compilation – Knowledge management software should be able to compile content from both internal and external sources and store it so that it can be accessed as and when needed.
- Knowledge Distribution – Knowledge is useless if it’s not shared. Knowledge management software allows the sharing of content via emails, notifications, and other means.
- Classifying information on Taxonomy – To make it easier for users to locate content, you need to classify it based on taxonomy. You can create a new category for tutorials on product bases and information that is services-based.
- Permission setting – All users of knowledge management software, internal or external, don’t have the same position or need all content. Based on user position and needs, the software should allow users to grant permissions.
- Dashboard – Knowledge management software should include a dashboard that provides information at a glance.
- Reports – Reporting allows you to make informed decisions. Reports can help you find the most searched question by your clients in FAQ sections.
- Scalability – Your business is constantly evolving and an outdated tool will not meet your needs. Knowledge management software must be flexible enough to support your business and organization over the long term.
Knowledge management software will help you make better decisions and steer your business in the right direction. After extensive research and surveys, our team of experts has created these 10 open-source knowledge management software that is free and easy to use.
10 Top Free and Knowledge Management Software
OpenKM is an enterprise-level document management system. It helps you store, track, and manage electronic documents. It stores the information and allows users to access it through one knowledge base application.
OpenKM allows organizations to manage the creation, management, storage, and distribution of electronic knowledge. OpenKM allows employees to manage the flow of documents and reuse information for future use, thereby improving efficiency and productivity.
- User interface that is quick and attractive
- Translated in many global languages
- Upload documents for automatic virus scanning
- It features a dashboard that provides detailed information at a glance.
- It supports Microsoft Office Add-Ins from versions 2000 through 2013.
- It can also collect emails from Pop3, Pop3, IMAP, and Pop3s.
- It can import text from HTML formats and attachments.
- Features include bulk uploading, locking/unlocking documents, document sending via email, and more.
- It allows users to create workflows and assign tasks.
- It can also configure email message notifications
- It allows for digital signatures on documents
- It integrates multiple third-party apps
- Allows you to search using queries and store those queries
- High-end security features, including the ability to grant permissions to different users
OpenKM is a free, open-source document management software. It can help you manage digital content, improve productivity, and streamline your workflow.
Documize is an easy-to-use and efficient knowledge management software. It allows you to centralize all documentation, internal and external. You can centralize all of your projects, including services and products. This allows you to have all case studies available for new and existing employees as your company grows.
This knowledge management software is designed for both technical and non-technical users. It can be used to label and categorize documents so that users can search for relevant information quickly and then enrich it for future needs.
- Centralizes and captures all information
- Organize the content using appropriate spaces, labels, and categorization
- Can import word content
- A library of reusable templates, snippets, and other resources
- UX friendly design ensures the seamless reading ability
- Creativity is key to creating content
- Assign permissions and seek approvals. Manage the entire workflow according to the hierarchy
- Content management that is clutter-free allows you to archive and save old content as a draft.
- It is possible to access different versions of the same document.
- Receive a report on which content is being consumed most, least, or completely ignored
- Give permissions to external users such as customers and suppliers to access the content
Documize, a versatile and simple-to-use knowledge management software that can transform the way you document your processes and systems, is highly adaptable.
eXo, an open-source knowledge management software, is full-featured and can connect your tools and knowledge. This will allow you to create a dynamic environment that allows you to maximize the potential of your knowledge and achieve your goals.
The software collects, stores, and organizes all the external and internal content. This allows teams to work together on projects, meet deadlines, and reach difficult targets.
- You can store information in enterprise Wikis. This includes procedures, reports and meeting minutes.
- Different documents can be captured, stored, and shared in different formats
- Forums allow you to share your knowledge both internally and externally.
- Notify your subscribers automatically when new content is added or captured
- Its dynamic search functionality makes it easy to find information
- Set up permissions to give full control over content visibility
EXO is an open source knowledge management system specializing in intra-team collaboration. To publicly access this knowledge base, you must purchase a subscription.
4. Zendesk Guide
Zendesk Guide allows you to create a smart knowledge base that will allow you to answer customers’ questions and offer prompt responses to their problems. Your customers can create a custom help center so they can connect to you instantly and receive excellent support services.
Capture the experiences of your agents to help you improve efficiency and perfection. You also have access to AI-powered tools that allow you to respond to customers’ queries while your human agents are busy solving their problems.
Zendesk allows you to provide answers and solutions for customers’ queries. This will help you win their loyalty and grow your company.
- A customized online service center can be created to allow customers to get answers and solutions to their questions.
- Your articles should be categorized in a way that makes it easy for customers to find the information they need.
- The software features a WYSIWYG editor that allows you to create articles with images and videos.
- This makes it easier in terms of design and readability.
- You can see the edits and updates to your helpdesk content. This will keep you informed of any changes
- You can control the access that you grant to customers, agents, employees, and others. You can view and edit the content
- You can be assured that all content in your knowledge base will be archived automatically.
- There are many themes available so that you can customize the look of your help center or knowledge base.
- Once the customer has provided the required information, the agent can close the request and save time.
- This AI-powered software solves many questions automatically by sending emails containing relevant information
- This software allows organizations to create a custom portal that is tailored for their clients. It helps them manage support requests and search for the information they need.
- It is possible to create a community, such as a forum, where customers and agents can discuss their problems and find solutions. You can also get inspired and give feedback.
- You can suggest relevant articles to make it easier for your customers to find the information they need.
Zendesk Guide’s Knowledgebase, or help desk, can increase the efficiency and productivity of an organization by allowing customers to easily find the answers to their questions.
myBase is an information management software that captures and stores documents as well as images, emails, webpages, and other data. No matter the file’s length or format, myBase can store it all. With the integrated zip utility, the information is compressed and saved in the tree-structured outline format. myBase, unlike traditional database systems, can capture text input as a word processor. It can also provide enhanced features such as capturing, editing, and organizing information, retrieving it, searching for it, and sharing it.
- The interface is user-friendly and visually appealing
- Information can be organized in a tree-structured outline format
- Use hierarchical labels to categorize the content
- Supports large files, but not more than 2GB
- High-end security features such as password protection for each piece of content
- Supports HTML/Rich Text formatting and editing
- You can assign customizable icons to different file types
- Facilitates auto index, auto backup, and automatic save
- Can I import data from different sources?
- Export data in many file formats
MyBase allows you to consolidate all content in one place, and make it available when needed. Now you can manage all your internal knowledge, share it easily with associates, as well as manage all information relating to your company intuitively.
PHPMyFAQ is a FAQ content management system that uses PHP. This open-source knowledge management software is the best choice if you want to create an interface that allows customers to find solutions based on their self-hosted knowledge base. This software can be used for everything from simple FAQ sites to enterprise integration. It is also mobile-friendly and scalable.
- Administrators, categories, FAQ records, and comments can all be managed from one place.
- Attachments, glossary items, comments, attachments and comments can also be controlled.
- This allows you to set permissions for users and groups of users
- A powerful search tool that allows you to find the information you need in one click
- High-end security is assured by the software’s LDAP/HTTP authentication and SSO support
- Multiple AD servers can be used to configure this software
- It integrates with social networking platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, allowing you to effectively reach your clients.
- All users have the ability to ask questions and also answer them
- It will generate reports about the viewing and editing content from your knowledge base platform.
- This will allow you to make informed decisions
- It supports SEO plugins, so your FAQ site can be ranked first in major search engines
- It can automatically answer the new questions
- Users can export their content in various formats, such as PDF, JSON and XHTML.
phpMyFAQ, a PHP-based open-source knowledge management program that is free and open-source, is available in over 40 languages and compatible with all modern browsers.
LogicalDOC Community Edition, a free and open-source knowledge management system licensed under GNU Lesser General Public License version 3. Anyone can use the source code to create a custom knowledge management system. The software can handle all aspects of document management, including sharing, editing, and capturing.
- It includes a multilingual interface that can be used on both desktop and mobile devices, as well as iOS and Android apps.
- Searches can be used to find documents based upon the search queries entered
- Zip Archives allows you to import documents
- This system allows you to collaborate with your associates via an internal messaging system and address book.
- High security as documents and folders can be password protected
- You can also view the event log to see the details of any changes made in the documents
- Local file storage
- Standard and basic statistical reports.
- Compatible with HTTP/HTTPS, SOAP & RETFUL, WebDAV and CMIS protocols
- It integrates Joomla Explorer, WordPress Explorer, and Dropbox.
LogicalDOC is a knowledge management system that’s easy to use and doesn’t require any training. LogicalDOC makes use of the latest technology and international standards that can be integrated with existing software. It’s a great solution for all of your document management issues.
OpenDocMan, a PHP-based document management tool, is free and open source knowledge base software. This software can be modified as you wish and used without any additional charges. This web-based software allows for easy access to users, allowing automatic upgrades and installation.
- It allows central document storage and management
- You can grant restricted access to users
- Helps in tracking the work log, so that you can view which users have added/edited/downloaded the documents
- Facilitates the review and approval of files
- Search by author name, category, or department.
- This Knowledge management open-source software is lightweight and easy to install.
- It supports multiple languages
OpenDocMan can be used by individuals, small businesses and educational institutions as well as Fortune 500 companies, government agencies and non-profits. This software is preferred by companies because it’s easy to use, reliable, and simple to install. The software is constantly updated with new features.
Piggydb, a free and open-source knowledge-building platform is flexible and scalable. Piggydb allows you to add content and, as your knowledge base grows. You can also streamline and enhance your imputed content. You can use it to educate your clients, employees, and associates.
- This open source knowledge base software will assist you in creating knowledge fragments and categorizing them according to a topic, ideas, etc.
- Upload documents using XML or pig extensions
- Allows you to streamline and organize all content in one place
- Use flexible filters to search and browse content
Piggydb is the perfect choice if you’re looking for free knowledge base software that allows you to build a knowledge base, share it externally, and generate new ideas from your input.
Kwoksys, an open-source IT management system that you can customize according to your needs, is Kwoksys. It allows you to centralize information about hardware inventory, software licenses and service contracts. It also includes a section that allows you to store information, blogs and RSS feeds.
- Facilitates the centralization of information that is important for smooth operation in an organization
- Facilitates tabs customization allows you to link other software
- It can produce reports that provide better insight and help in smart decision-making
- To create an attractive interface that matches your brand identity, you can modify the theme and logo.
Kwoksys was originally designed to help IT professionals track software and hardware records. However, it’s now being used to manage information related to IT operations.
Document360 is a flexible knowledge base software that allows your team to easily create, collaborate, and publish a self-service knowledge base for your products or services. You can access it from any device or platform. It’s a responsive tool, so you can use it from anywhere. You can create a customized and intuitive knowledge base for customers and users, with secure access.
- This helps to organize the content according to a structured hierarchy
- Multiple knowledge bases can be managed from one interface
- Tracks changes to the content easily
- You can publish, move, edit and delete bulk content
- Includes rich filtering options
- This helps you manage your entire knowledge base from one central location
- Can be used to create customized reports
- This allows you to automatically notify users about any changes in the content.
- Easy search options
- You can share your reviews if you’ve used Document360 before.
Document360 is a great tool. If you have a limited budget, you might consider one of these 10 top-rated open source knowledge management programs.
Conclusion – Open source knowledge management software
It would be negligence for an organization to leave knowledge unutilized and scattered. This would lead to a loss of time and wasteful use of human resources. It is better to use knowledge management software that suits your needs to avoid this situation.
Open source knowledge management software has many benefits. The developers can adapt the software to meet the needs of an organization. You don’t have to pay anything if the software is free.
Your investment budget can be extended if you need advanced features that are not available in free or open-source knowledge management software. You can also consider knowledge management software such as Confluence, ProProfs Knowledge Base, and Bloomfire.