Many organizations are finding that they have too many good things, even though they continue to collect and create mountains of data. It can be difficult to identify all the data within their systems, determine which users have access to what data, make sure that data is properly used, and then figure out how to get real business value. It is therefore crucial to have a strong Data Governance program.
Data governance refers to the creation of internal data standards and policies. These policies control who has access to data, how it is used in business operations, and how it is used for analytics. It may include data quality improvements as well as master data management (MDM), ones. A data governance software that is successful ensures data consistency, trustworthiness, and availability and that it complies with all applicable data privacy laws.
Organizations can automate many aspects of managing their governance program. Data governance tools are useful for this purpose. This software allows for the creation of business glossaries, data mapping and classification, workflow and documentation management, and the development of governance policies. Data governance software can be used alongside tools such as MDM, data quality, and metadata management.
Top 10 Data Governance Tools
Here are 10 data governance tools that you might be interested in. They are listed alphabetically and include a brief description of their key capabilities.
1. Alation Data Governance App
Alation was established in 2012 with a data catalog platform that helped organizations to inventory their data and give access to it. Alation Data Catalog is still the company’s flagship product. However, in September 2021, Alation Data Governance was released. Alation Data Governance App software simplifies the process of providing secure data access in IT systems. This includes hybrid cloud computing environments and multi-cloud computing environments.
The Policy Center feature of Alation Data Governance App can be used to create governance policies and see how they are mapped to specific data assets. A data Stewardship Workbench is also included in the governance tool. This workbench uses AI and machine learning to identify potential data stewards, based on data usage.
The data governance tool also includes the following features:
- Support for configuring and creating data governance workflows, without the need to code;
- A dashboard that data governance program leaders can use to monitor its progress.
- Alation’s professional service unit offers an associated data governance offering.
Also read: Top 10 Data Modeling Tools You Should Know
2. ASG Data Intelligence
ASG Technologies a Rocket Software subsidiary describes ASG Data Intelligence to be a solution for data distrust. According to the company, a lot of the data created and collected is often lost because data scientists, business managers, and other end users can’t find it, or don’t trust it. ASG DI, the shorthand for this tool, is designed to assist organizations in addressing these issues using a variety of data management, data lineage, and data governance capabilities.
Metadata-driven software can generate end-to-end views as data moves through IT systems. It can provide information about the business meaning of data, and help to set guardrails for its use. Built-in governance workflows, data stewardship, and other functions allow data governance groups to handle data-related tasks, approve business glossary entries and perform other tasks. ASG DI supports role-based access control to allow users to have specific permissions.
The ASG tool also provides the following key features:
- An enterprise metadata repository with automated support for extracting metadata from more than 260 data sources.
- automated data documentation with visualized data flows mapped back to the business context.
- For compliance with data privacy laws, tracking data collection, storage, and access.
3. Ataccama One
As its name indicates, Ataccama One is a one-stop shop to manage all data management needs of any organization. It unifies data quality, MDM, and other functions within a single platform. This AI-driven software can be used in hybrid, on-premises, and cloud environments. It is intended for data professionals such as data stewards and other data analysts, and engineers.
Ataccama One allows organizations to integrate their data quality and MDM efforts using a data catalog and data integration capabilities. It also includes a module for data storytelling. This tool is designed for large-scale deployments in highly regulated industries and includes features such as an audit history and role-based security.
These features are also included in the package:
- Support for governing data in different big data platforms and data lake environments
- Through automation and embedded intelligence, “self-driving data governance and management” is possible.
- a platform-as-a-service deployment option, with vendor Ataccama managing infrastructure, management, and security.
4. Apache Atlas
Apache Atlas is an open-source tool. It provides a foundational set of metadata management and data governance capabilities to organizations using data-intensive platforms. Although it is primarily intended for Hadoop clusters, it can exchange metadata with tools or processes outside of the Hadoop ecosystem in order to allow integration with other analytics systems.
Hortonworks, a rival big data platform vendor, initially developed Atlas with the help of several user organizations. The software was then handed to the Apache Software Foundation for further development. Atlas allows organizations to catalog, classify, and manage data assets. It also provides collaboration capabilities related to the data for use by data scientists, and other analysts to use the data.
Atlas also has the following features:
- A flexible type system to define and manage the model that is used for metadata objects.
- Automated support for cataloging data assets; and data lineage information;
- Integration with Apache Ranger’s data security framework to allow access control and data masking.
5. Axon Data Governance
Informatica describes Axon Data Governance, which Informatica claims can be used to help organizations deliver trusted data at an enterprise scale to end users and data managers. Informatica bought Diaku, the original developer, in 2017. The technology uses AI-driven automation to assist stewards with data discovery, data quality assessment, and communication. Governance teams can also create data marketplaces that are curated to aid business and analytics users in finding, accessing, and understanding data.
Axon can be used by data governance teams to create a common data dictionary, establish connections between data elements, identify gaps, and link governance policies with the data they affect. Axon can also be used to create end-to-end business flow diagrams that provide visual views of data lineage.
Axon Data Governance also offers the following features:
- The ability to automatically measure and monitor quality levels using data quality indicators.
- Data privacy protection capabilities that allow users to understand privacy risks and analyze compliance impacts of data changes;
- Integration with other Informatica products including data quality, data catalog, and preparation tools.
6. Collibra Data Governance
Data scientists often spend their time organizing, finding, and cleaning data. Collibra Data Governance is part of the Data Intelligence Cloud platform. It aims to change this and allow organizations to deliver trusted data to them, and other end users. Collibra says the data governance tool can help to operationalize governance workflows, and processes, create a common language about data assets, and make it easier for users to find and understand relevant information.
It includes a business glossary to help define and govern business terms as well as a data dictionary to document metadata. It includes reference data management capabilities, data helpdesk functions for reporting and resolving issues, and Collibra Assessments modules for analyzing privacy risks resulting from personal data being used in business processes.
Collibra Data Governance also offers the following features:
- Data stewardship management functions include the ability to assign roles to data stewards.
- A Policy Manager application supports central management of data standards and policies, as well as monitoring compliance and adoption.
- Integration with Collibra’s Data Catalog, Data Lineage, and Data Quality Tools as part of the Data Intelligence Cloud platform.
7. Data360 Govern
Trust is the foundation of all successful relationships. Software vendor Precisely says Data360 Govern will foster trust with data assets. When Infogix was acquired by Precisely in 2021, the Data360 portfolio included the Data Governance tool as well as data quality and analytics products. Data360 Govern allows organizations to build an enterprise data governance system that includes a metadata management capability and a data catalog.
This tool allows organizations to track how data impacts business outcomes and business processes. It also provides dashboards and reports that can easily be customized to provide personalized insights. It automates data governance workflows and metadata harvesting, as well as the import of data quality scores from Data360 DQ+ and other data quality tools by Precisely and rival vendors.
Data360 Govern also includes the following key features:
- Automatic curation of a business vocabulary and data visualization flows within an organization
- A 3D Data Lineage function, which also includes process diagrams and impacts analysis capabilities.
- A flexible metamodel that can mirror an organization’s business model and help with the data governance process.
8. Erwin Data Intelligence
Sherlock Holmes is a great literary detective. His extraordinary powers of observation and awareness are well-known to fans. Quest Software, which offers enterprise data governance tools Erwin Data Intelligence and other similar capabilities, promises similar capabilities. According to Quest Software, the tool “provides data knowledge, capability and knowledge to drive business enablement and data governance in organizations.”
The software, formerly known as Erwin Data Intelligence from Quest, combines Erwin data catalog, data literacy, and data quality products into one integrated package. It is designed to assist IT and data governance teams in making data assets more visible to end users and providing guidance on how to use them. There are governance controls to ensure users adhere to internal data policies and best practices. Role-based views are possible to provide context for data that is relevant to different users.
Erwin Data Intelligence also offers the following capabilities:
- Automated functions for harvesting and cataloging metadata, generating data lineage details, and data profiling as well as data quality assessments.
- Metadata-driven mapping of data flows to assist in data integration, data lineage documentation and data lineage documentation
- Data stewardship features include the ability to assign data owners or subject-matter experts to help manage data assets.
9. SAP Master Data Governance
SAP Master Data Governance, as its name suggests, is specifically designed to assist organizations in managing master data within their MDM initiatives. It can be used to consolidate master information from different sources and manage it centrally. There are also built-in quality management capabilities. It is part of the SAP Business Technology Platform which includes a wide range of data management, AI, and related technologies.
SAP offers two versions: one that runs on top of its flagship S/4HANA ERP software and one that is cloud-based. This edition can be used to support federated network master data governance environments that use a hub-and-spoke approach. This setup allows for a central system to govern core master data attributes while separate governance systems within business units or departments can manage application-specific attributes.
The following features are also available in SAP Master Data Governance:
- Pre-built data models, business rules, and governance workflows, as well as UIs, are available to streamline deployments.
- Collaboration workflow routing and notification capabilities are available to enforce valid data values.
- Integration with the companion SAP Master Data Integration Tool to combine integration- and governance capabilities
10. Oracle Enterprise Metadata Management
Oracle Enterprise Metadata Management allows organizations to manage, catalog, and govern metadata from relational databases and data warehouses, Hadoop clusters, and BI platforms. This is possible in Oracle and non-Oracle systems. Interactive search and browser tools are available that allow you to explore metadata, access model diagrams, and provide metadata reporting capabilities. It also provides data lineage traceability and impacts analysis functions.
OEMM provides a range of data governance and stewardship tools, including the ability for data managers to tag and annotate metadata, make comments about data, and set up internal data review boards. It can import metadata standards from Oracle or third-party systems and allows governance teams to create business glossaries that support semantic lineage analyses.
OEMM also offers the following features:
- Algorithms that combine metadata from multiple sources to show the entire data path through systems.
- Versioning metadata models for performance optimization and regulatory compliance;
- Integration with Oracle Enterprise Data Quality for a complete approach to data governance management