A receipt scanner app can be used to store documents locally (on the hard drive or in the cloud). This app can help you keep track of your expenses and ensure that they are properly accounted for. Receipt scanners that extract data from scanned documents and integrate with accounting software are the best.
Top 6 Receipt Scanner Apps
Best Overall Receipt Scanner App
NeatFiles provides receipt scanning and online storage. All features of NeatInvoices,-Neat’s invoice app are included in every NeatFiles subscription. NeatFiles is a great way to organize, categorize, and archive your business documents. NeatFiles allows you to classify any uploaded documents whenever you upload them.
NeatFiles is our top overall receipt scanner. It combines receipt scanning with online cloud storage. This solves two common office problems in one application. NeatFiles features include:
- Scanning To scan physical documents, you can use either the mobile app or any other scanner. Desktop users can use Desktop Utility Scan to crop and edit scanned documents.
- There are many ways to import documents. You can upload directly, send via email or use the mobile application to upload documents. These documents can also be categorized immediately before being uploaded.
- Items filters: Search for files quickly by item type or filter category from the dashboard. You don’t have to look at each item individually.
- Invoicing: NeatInvoices features are available with a NeatFiles Subscription. It offers invoicing capabilities and reminds customers to settle their obligations.
The user interface is clean and simple to understand
High-grade scanning combined with human verification ensures accuracy
A reporting system that is based on spending details, sales tax, and expense.
- A complete bookkeeping system is not possible
- No invoice reconciliation
- It can be challenging to scan two-sided documents.
NeatFiles is an excellent software solution for small businesses that need to scan receipts and store documents online. it’s cost-effective and you don’t have to sign up for another cloud storage provider in order to store documents. This combination is convenient as you don’t have to transfer your scanned items into another program.
- Monthly pricing starts at $30/month, with $300 per year. For 15 days, a free trial is offered.
2. Zoho Expense
Best for Receipt Scanning and Expense Management
Zoho expense is an expense tracker app that works within the Zoho environment. It is part of Zoho’s business app collection that provides solutions for businesses of all sizes. Zoho Expense is primarily an expense management app. However, it also offers receipt scanning and storage. Zoho Expense works well if you are using Zoho Books or any other Zoho product. Read our Zoho Books review to learn more about Zoho’s accounting app.
Zoho Expense allows you to scan receipts and can also help with expense management.
- Dashboard: This dashboard gives you useful insight into your expenses and pending reporting. You can view the status of payments and reports.
- Receipts: You have two options: auto-scan receipts, or drag and drop to upload them. For a quicker and more efficient reimbursement process, employees can scan, upload and attach receipts to expense records.
- Reporting: The expense approval flow is one of the best features of Zoho Expense. The expense approval flow allows you to review and evaluate each expense submitted and then approve the expenses that are allowed by company policies. This is where receipt scanning is useful. The approver can reject reports that do not include receipts.
- Security: Zoho uses a secure socket layer (SSL), encryption, and multifactor authentication in order to prevent unauthorized access. Zoho accounts have single sign-on (SSO) features so you don’t need to create another account.
- This is suitable for Zoho users
- Best for travel expense review and approval
- Unlimited receipt scanning and storage
- For small teams that receive very few bills from vendors, it can be costly.
- It can be overwhelming.
- Learning the software takes a lot of time
Zoho Expense is highly recommended to Zoho Books users. It can also be used as an auxiliary application to other accounting software. This software is excellent for pre accounting because it allows you to review and process expenses before they are recorded in the books. This software reduces the work of accountants and allows for proper expense control.
- Unlimited receipt storage for up to 3 users
- Premium plan $8 per user; unlimited users; receipt storage; minimum of three users
- Enterprise Plan: $12 per month active user; unlimited recipients and receipt storage; minimum of 500 users
3. QuickBooks Online
Best for Receipt Scanner Within an Accounting Software
QuickBooks Online accounting software is for small businesses that need advanced accounting features such as inventory management, profit tracking, and financial reporting. QuickBooks Online is our best small business accounting software as it can meet the needs of small businesses across all industries at an affordable cost.
QuickBooks Online provides many accounting and accounting-related functions. This software is affordable for small businesses that have large accounting requirements.
- Upload receipts To document your receipts: you can scan or upload them using your smartphone. Upload receipts from your Google Drive or desktop account. QuickBooks Online accepts PDF, JPEG, and JPG images as receipts.
- Track your mileage: With the QuickBooks Online mobile app, you can track your mileage with your smartphone GPS and automatically record driving information on QuickBooks. You can also manually add mileage if you forget to track it.
- Reporting: You can create standard financial statements as well as other reports such as aging schedules and tax reports, accounts payable summaries, and inventory reports.
- Full bookkeeping: QuickBooks Online provides full bookkeeping capabilities, including inventory tracking.
- Track and collect sales tax: QuickBooks Online allows you to track and adjust sales tax rates based on the invoice address. This feature is great if your customers are located in different jurisdictions, such as states or cities.
- You can track profit and loss by project, class, or location.
- Access to a large network of independent QuickBooks ProAdvisors
- Includes mileage and expense tracking plus receipt scanning through the mobile app
- You cannot add users to your plan without upgrading it.
- It is more expensive than its direct rivals
- There is no variance analysis of actual and estimated costs
QuickBooks Online is a well-recognized and popular name in small business accounting software. The software can handle all bookkeeping needs for small businesses. You will need full-fledged accounting software with receipt scanning capabilities. QuickBooks Online is an affordable solution.
- Simple Start: $25/month for one user
- Essentials: $50/month for three users
- Plus: $80 a month for five users
- Advanced: $180 a month for 25 users
- Get a 30-day trial of any plan you choose. New subscribers get 50% off for 3 months.
4. Dext Prepare
Best for Receipt Scanner for Accountants and Bookkeepers
Dext Prepar, formerly Receipt Bank is a rebranded version of the Receipt Bank. It offers many of the same, but better, features as Receipt Bank. The app focuses on receipt scanning and includes helpful features such as expense reporting, bookkeeping, and analytic tools. Dext Prepare integrates with most accounting software. Dext Prepare provides Partner Accounts for accountants and bookkeepers, making it easy for them to manage clients from one place.
Dext Prepare features can reduce the amount of clerical work involved in coding receipt information. It also has simple accounting functions that will help you manage receipts.
- Data extraction: Dext Prepare can extract data from receipts and classify them or add them to fields. You can search the extracted data within the app.
- Classify documents in cost, sales, and bank: You can segregate documents based on where they came from. Add it to the cost if it is a disbursement record. Add it to the sales if it’s an invoice. Add bank documents to the bank.
- Extract bank statements: Dext Prepar can extract key information from your bank statements to relieve you of the hassle of manually going through them.
- Integrates with major accounting programs like QuickBooks, Xero, and Sage Accounting
- Extract information from receipt line items
- Documents are classified according to bank, sales, and cost.
- Accounting software is not complete
- No built-in cloud storage
Dext Prepare features can be integrated seamlessly with major accounting software such as Sage Accounting, Xero, and QuickBooks. Dext Prepare is easy to use and integrates with most accounting software. Dext will also release additional apps in the future. This will eventually make Dext Prepare an interconnected software environment that can be used for business needs.
- Business PLUS: $25 per month for five users. You can process up to 300 documents per month.
- Premium $50 per month for 20 users You can process up to 3,000 documents per month.
- Enterprise $75 per month for 30 users. You can process up to 4,000 documents per month.
Also read: Top 10 Free QR Code Generators
Best for Receipt Scanner for Assisted Receipt Processing
Shoeboxed is a cloud-based receipt scanner app with cloud storage. You can also send receipts to Shoeboxed, and it will scan the receipt for you. You can scan documents to Shoeboxed for tax compliance and audits by the IRS.
Shoeboxed, another receipt scanning app, focuses primarily on receipt management. It is a receipt management app that can be stored in the cloud.
- Magic envelope TM: Shoeboxed can do manual scanning. Simply place all receipts in the Magic Envelope, and then wait for them to be scanned. You can also request that the receipts be returned to you after processing.
- Add Business Card: Other than receipts, you are able to scan business cards and extract the information. This allows you to search for contacts quickly and easily without having to look at physical cards.
- Mobile Application: This app allows you to scan receipts, and then submit them for processing.
- Includes mileage tracking and expense reporting
- Send receipts to Shoeboxed using Magic EnvelopeTM
- Unlimited file storage
- Receipt processing is restricted
- The support page has been removed.
Shoeboxed can help you scan receipts. Shoeboxed can scan your receipts so you can spend more time on other tasks. You just need to wait for the receipt information to be uploaded into your account for expense reporting. Every paid plan includes the Magic Envelope TM feature.
- Startup: $29/month for 50 digital documents or 25 physical documents
- Professional: $59/month, valid for 150 digital and physical documents
- Business: $67 a month, valid for 3,000 digital files and 300 physical documents
Best for Free Receipt Scanner App With Accounting Features
Wave cloud-based accounting software offers invoice and accounting features. However, It charges for transaction processing as Bank and credit card transactions also include the receipt scanning feature. This makes it ideal for freelancers and entrepreneurs.
Wave is a free accounting program that provides basic features for those with simple accounting needs. Wave doesn’t offer complex accounting features such as inventory accounting.
Receipt scanning: You have two options to upload your receipt: a PDF or an image file. This can be done via the Transactions dashboard, on the web, or from your smartphone or tablet.
Basic accounting features: wave can manage your purchases, sales, and banking transactions. Additionally, you can generate financial statements as well as specific reports.
Recurring Invoices: Wave automatically generates invoices for recurring invoicing to reduce time during the billing process. Customers who pay a monthly standard fee can benefit from this feature.
Payroll: Wave can provide payroll services at a reasonable price and also comply with tax regulations.
Integrations: Wave offers a wide range of integrations to apps such as Shopify, Mailchimp, and Slack.
- Receipt scanning and accounting features are included for no extra charge
- Supports unlimited users
- Multi-currency transactions handled
- No inventory management
- Large businesses may not find this ideal.
- Audit history and no time tracking
Wave is a great choice if you are looking for accounting software that’s free for your business. Wave is ideal for freelancers and small businesses. Uploading a receipt is as easy as taking a picture of it, or uploading a PDF file or image file. If you aren’t processing a lot of payments, transaction fees for payment processing can be minimal and easy to pay. Wave is a great option for self-employed individuals or those who are just starting a business.
- Accounting, receipt scanning, and invoicing are all free
How we scanned receipts to evaluate apps
To help you evaluate and assess the suitability of a receipt scanner app for your business, we have compiled a list of core features. Let’s take a look at the most essential features that a receipt scanner app must have.
- Accounting software integration: To transfer documents and reports for accounting, the receipt scanner app needs to be integrated with your accounting software.
- Multiple capture options: You must have multiple methods to capture receipt information. You can connect to it or use your smartphone’s camera for scanning images.
- OCR-Ready for Line Item Extractions: It is tedious to manually extract data from receipts. Receipt scanners should have OCR capabilities in order to extract information from receipts. It must also have intelligence features that allow it to correctly include the extracted information in fields or categories.
- Simple to review and modify: In addition to scanning features, the app should also offer a dashboard, analytical tools, and search functions that allow users to quickly track and modify entries. To improve data filtering, the app must also include categories and tags.
- Price: Many bookkeeping and expense tracking software have a built-in receipt scanner. You can choose to use a third-party scanner if it offers more benefits and comes with an additional cost.
Also read: Top 10 Tax Software for Self Employed People
How to use a receipt scanner app
There are several reasons to consider using a receipt scanning app for your business:
- You work remotely with your team: Can you allow remote employees access to your supplies and charge you for them? Even if you are working remotely, a receipt scanner is a great way to process expenses.
- Want to reduce paper usage in your business? Employee receipts are sometimes reimbursable. You would have to prepare vouchers, which is a waste of paper. You can reduce paper usage in your office by using a receipt scanner. The receipt scanner app allows you to process all expenses, reimbursements, and expense recordings.
- Want to organize your office: It’s not a pleasant sight to see receipts piled up on your desk.
Nearly all professionals hate the thought of having to look through hundreds upon hundreds of receipts every day. Instead, scan the receipts and then throw them out.
- Keep track of your receipts faster and more easily: Once you have scanned your receipts you can usually create them and attach them to the transactions. If the transaction is ever questioned, it’s easy to locate the receipt by scanning them.
Bottom line — Top receipt scanner app
How to choose the best receipt scanner app To need your requirements, we need to understand your business processes and requirements. Each of the apps in this list has promising functions and features. When choosing software, consider all relevant factors, such as whether it meets your most important needs, costs, and the overall benefits it can bring to you and your company. Next, you can go back to the list and choose the software that suits your needs best.